Monday 6 February 2012

Are you too critical?


I have just finished my latest project. Whilst making him, I absolutely enjoyed every minute, however as I get nearer to finishing a project I become more and more critical and start finding fault. I drive myself and everyone around me mad with my criticism. May I add that I am never this critical about other peoples work. If I were to see some of my creations on other peoples sites I would love their work but I find it easier to find faults in my works than the positives. Anyway here he is and he will be staying here with us for the time being. He has a party blower and his party outfit on and is just waiting for an invitation to fall through the door!











A panda is next on the agenda as an Easter pressie for Will, not made one before and am quite excited. Its funny how every creation, even when following a pattern turns out very differently!!!

Am also covering some letters (bought from Hobbycraft some time ago) in old maps. Gavla says its very unoriginal “Home” but what does he know!

This week I will be booking tickets for the Country Living Spring Fair for myself and two friends which we visit every year. Its held at London Business Centre and I can throughly recommend it. Note to self, take camera to take lots of piccies this year!!!!
Have a good week my lovelies, there will be a giveaway coming up soon once I reach  20 “bloggie” followers for it to happen. More details to follow. Have a good week, lots of love Dottie May xxxx


PS Haven't posted any piccies of the white stuff, cant stand it and left it to Gavla and Will to go sledging at the country park and to build a snowman, bah humbug!

10 comments:

  1. Hi Sam,
    I think he is wonderful! He has such a characterful face, and just the right proportions for arms, legs etc. You did make me smile with your comments about self-criticising your work. I am the same. I guess it's hard to look upon your own work with a fresh eye. I always criticise my work, but then I think that's healthy in a way, as if we thought our creations were perfect we wouldn't strive to do better. I think you should be very pleased with this little guy :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nicky thankyou so much for your kind words, they have really encouraged me. I cut out a panda to make but after sewing the head have decided it is totally the wrong shape!!!! Have ordered some lovely curly mohair to now make Will a proper brown bear for Easter, please hurry up and turn up before the snow!!! xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    Just wanted to say I love your latest creation. Don't worry about criticizing your work, every artist is the same. I constantly find so many things I don't like about my bears but then when they're totally finished and I've had a little time to see them as a "complete" bear - I like them more. Everyone is the same. If we saw our own work on another's site we'd love it but because we made it we are very harsh on ourselves. You did a great job, try and see him as a finished bear - it helps :)
    Bear hugs!
    Gabriele, GJOYful Bears

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gabriele, thankyou so much for your kind words. Referring to me as an "artist" made my day!!! Will keep posting
    my creations, just waiting a delivery of mohair to make a start. Loving your blog, watch mine will be doing a giveaway soon, big hugs Sam (AKA Dottie May) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your fabbytastic blog,love,love this little fella,he has such a gorgeous face,you should feel very proud of him,well done you x
    XX Manda XX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Manda, thankyou for your kind words. I'm gonna have a good nosey at your blog later xxxx

      Delete
  6. Replies
    1. Thanks so much Victoria, more creations on the way! xxxx

      Delete
  7. He is adorable, so cute and full of character

    And I am just the same as you - I find fault in all my creations, they never feel quite good enough

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore him, love his baggy trousers, his face, the way his eyes are looking up to his hat. Full of character, you should be making more of these and rolling in the pennies.
    Mind you we're all highly critical of what we create, it's completely natural as you have to have a keen eye to make in the first place and then that blinking eye won't go a bit blurry when you need it to. I think it's a good thing because it means you're keeping high standards and there really is some shockingly bad stuff made out there. The last CL Fair I went to I was thrown by some of the awful finishes on some of the handmade work. At art college my tutor told me that a piece is never finished, you as the artist have to know when to step away and leave it as it is. Good advice I think.

    Enjoy your apples.

    X

    ReplyDelete